Monday, February 5, 2007

Why I Love Polk Street, Part 1



I call this “Part 1” because Dave and I spent four hours cruising this rather medium-sized street on Super Bowl Sunday and only experienced half of it! We leisurely popped in and out of various shops including Dave’s favorite (ha ha), a resale shop called Out of the Closet. It’s a thrift shop owned and operated by the AIDS Healthcare Foundation. We picked up a wooden mirror at the shop for $10 that will fit just right in the “French Country” look we’re going for in the kitchen.

We stopped in a cute shop called One Half where we picked up a black wicker trash can for the bathroom and this cute rooster tray to compliment our French kitchen.

We also found our new fave taco shop (of the week at least) called Nick’s Crispy Tacos. It’s unique, not only for its amazing authentic Mexican cuisine, but also because the space turns into a nightclub called Rouge in the afterhours! The interior is filled with chandeliers and booths, but has casual gingham-covered tables for dining during the day. They also had the corn that made Café Habana in NYC famous (famous to us anyways), covered in sharp cheese and sprinkled with paprika. Dave and I enjoyed an ear, but must admit that it can’t compete with Café Habana, mostly because Nick’s doesn’t grill the corn which gives it that hint of crunchiness in the texture. I think Nick’s will become a regular staple of our weekly cuisine!




After all that work, we had to of course treat ourselves to a little sweetness, so we stopped at Bob’s where they make the donuts fresh on-site. Yum!



On our way back home, we stopped in a boutique cheese shop to check out their wares. They had a variety of unique items including (of course) lots of wonderful cheeses that I hope to use when we entertain in the future (that is, if we can fit actual guests into our palace). The surprise for me was spotting a particular Belgian chocolate called “Cote d’Or” that we purchased on our recent trip to Brussels over the New Year. The frugality in me came out as I spotted the price tag of $6.49 and smiled at the realization that I bought my five bars (yes, five!) at the bargain price of one Euro each (about $1.60).




All in all, it was a great Sunday. We spent the rest of the day organizing the bathroom (we can now see the floor!) and Dave tackled the new TV. As you can see, he was exhausted from all that...uh..."channel modification".

1 comment:

Dianne Kolconay said...

I love you blog!! Keeps me informed as to what you are doing!