Monday, June 4, 2007

Union Street Festival

Also known as the biggest cluster west of the Mississippi, the Union Street Festival was on Saturday and Sunday of last weekend. I thought this image encompassed the people that we saw at Union Street Festival (vs. San Diego's Pacific Beach Street Fest and how I imagine the Haight Festival that follows this one):

Yes, that is a BABY BJORN for a DOG! Kind of cute, kind of troubling.
Union Street is just two blocks from our apartment and is one of the "main streets" of our neighborhood. We also have Chestnut Street and the famous Lombard Street to the north, which also leads into Polk Street on the east (and you already know I love from previous posts) and Fillmore Street on the west (adorable, though I haven't really blogged about it - yet!). We went out at about 10am (to SBUX...do I even need to mention that or is it just assumed?) and then walked around to the vendors prior to the crowds arriving. We bought two prints from a local photographer (images to come when we get them framed....so we should have images at least by the time we celebrate our 10th anniversary considering we still have stacks of frames on our floor from when we moved in four months ago!), then proceeded to stuff our faces with the requisite polish sausage (what's a street fair without a polish sausage?). We were going to spend some time in the beer garden, but that turned out to be the central focus of the cluster, so we went home to grab a few beers instead.

We then headed over to Jones Restaurant on Lombard Street where we ate - are you ready for this? - FRIED TWINKIE. Yes, it was melt-in-your-mouth goodness and yes I wish I had on each morning for breakfast (and yes, I just turned in my resignation to Crunch Fitness where I still haven't set foot inside since joining!). We also indulged in a grilled PB&J that was equally delicious (somehow this seemed different than the sogginess I experienced in the SuperWoman lunchbox as a kid...was it the $10 price tag that made the difference?).

No comments: