Monday, July 28, 2008

I Failed. Again.

As you may recall, we attempted to get into French Laundry a few months ago and failed...miserably. This time, I called 300 times (nope; not kidding...hit redial during a car ride), and STILL didn't get through. It's amazing how many times you can dial in a 45-min timeframe.


Calling French Laundry...again.

I swore I wouldn't give up and started calculating how many reservations they could actually take per 30-minute period...figuring that each reservation probably takes 2-3 minutes for the hostess to take the credit card info, give the schpiel on cancellations and their $50 corkage charge, etc.


Why do you hate me? Yep, that says 99 calls.

So, defeated, I gave up on my French Laundry Quest for this week. My Google Calendar has each the dates set aside with reminders two months in advance of each available Saturday from now through the end of 2008. BUT, the next time a 2-month-out date is here (likely a week from now), we are going to try and go TO French Laundry to make the reservation in person and then go wine tasting...we'll either be celebrating our "good fortune" of being able to spend our $500+ on dinner or we'll be drowning our sorrows by wine tasting at neighboring wineries.

Oh, an next option? People apparently sell their reservations on eBay. Nice.

3 comments:

Matt Werner said...

Tell you what, you and your husband fly to Raleigh, fork over $500, and I'll learn how to make that fancy "French Laundry" cooking you want :D

Besides, the name "French Laundry" doesn't really get my pallet going...

Take care,
Matt

Eric said...

Kid's got a point.

Anonymous said...

HI!!!! Meg told me about your situation and my advice is to keep calling or check out their website and see about making reservations through Open Table (http://www.frenchlaundry.com/). I have been and it is so worth it - one of the best dining experiences and most delicious meals I have had. My suggestion is to do the Chef's Tasting Menu and request your waiter to pair up a different wine with each course - you will truly enjoy it (might want to book a hotel room as oppose to driving back to the city!).
Hope all is well!
- Amanda