Wednesday, March 26, 2008

"OMG, Brooke....We are officially 'Marina'."

That is the comment Valerie made to me on Monday night after we finished our first Bar Method class. As much as I wish "Bar Method" were an alcohol-related event, it couldn't be further from that. It's an exercise program that Valerie roped me into trying for one month. We are only going one month because it is outragously expensive. Now I know I'm on the cheap side, but seriously - this is ridiculously expensive. The classes are $24/each or $250 for "unlimited" per month. SERIOUSLY!?!? Yes. And here is the kicker - the place is PACKED!!!! So, fortunately for us, they let you do one month of unlimited classes in their studio for $100 (one time only), so we are taking advantage.

So here is the 411: classes are in a room with a ballet bar and a huge mirror on the side and it integrates stretching, light weights and basically utilizing your own fat-a$$ weight to make you work your bootie off...literally. I've spoken with people and read stories about people who claim their booties were completely transformed in no time flat (no pun intended).

For our first class, we did these exercises along the bar where you basically get on your tip-toes, then go into a squat (while still on your tip toes). While my upper-half was in complete control, my lower-half was demon-posessed. I was shaking from the waste down like a convulsive FREAK. The instructor was kind enough to lightly say that "shaking is completely normal - you are reshaping your muscles" - but it didn't help me feel like I was fitting in any more. Somehow, Valerie and I made it through the class and left feeling surprisingly pleased. The workout is different than anything I've done before (including yoga, pilates, etc.). I didn't sweat much (which psychologically bothers me because I feel like a workout doesn't count if you don't sweat), but my body told me a COMPLETELY different story the next day (Tuesday) when I could barely walk.

So back to the title - what exactly is a "Marina Girl"? The Marina is the area of SF where we live. It's filled to the brim with yuppies, young professionals, etc. The daytime "Marina Uniform" for stay-at-home moms pushing strollers while shopping at crazy-priced boutiques along Chestnut as well as the girls my age that I can't possibly figure out HOW they make a living since they are cruising the streets during the day instead of sitting a cube like any other Good Solid American, is a uniform consisting of $100 Lululemon "yoga pants" and a tight tank, giant sunglasses and designer sneakers. For the Bar Method, you have to wear pants, so I stopped at Target to get my first pair of "yoga pants"....silly me wore those with one of my normal faded, ratty, oversized t-shirts that I normally work out in. I looked (and felt) like a complete schlub while in the class. Dave said I looked cool because I didn't give into the hype. So on Day 2, what did I do?

Went back to Target for a trendy (inexpensive) tight tank top to help me "blend" more.

Ahhh, Marina.

For a full description of my favorite neighborhood in SF, check out this blog post with a write up from one of my fave tourist books. The description of the Marina could not possibly be any more accurate. Heaven!

1 comment:

Eric said...

It sounds like a class I took in college called Dancing Through the Ages. I thought it was going to be a sweet class with lots of women, where I learned how to waltz and other crap like that. It ended up being a ballet class where we had to do moves similar to what you describe.

It sucked. Buddies would watch through the window and laugh at how silly I looked.

The only difference, I did not buy the pants or tight shirt. But I think it cost more.