Sunday, September 14, 2008

Running, Biking and Hangin' with Dave...

I kind of feel like my entire life revolves around my running schedule these days. The marathon is 5 weeks away and, as my running coaches say, I am encountering the "Rundroms"...the state where you're just simply bored of running so damn much! I typically save my long runs for the weekends, so I ran with the Nike Running Club Saturday (thank goodness for them) for 16 miles. I did 16 miles myself the previous week, but stopped for about 20 mins at Panera to visit with our friends 1/2 way through the run. This time, stopping wasn't an option or I'd be completely lost in my own city and have to call (beg, plead) Dave to pick me up at some random location. The run was absolutely beautiful, through the Presidio and Golden Gate Park (two of SF's largest parks...miles long each). A good portion was along the route of the actual marathon, which is really helpful and sets my mind at ease (as much as that's possible with me completely freaking out that the marathon is an add'l 10 MILES from what I did Saturday). After the run, I showered, took an hour nap and then ate - wait for it - an ENTIRE box of Mac'n'Cheese (one of my favorite meals of all time). God bless those folks at Kraft.

All last week, I was looking forward to my "date night" with #1 Hubby in the World and we left around 6:30pm on Friday to take the bus to a random bar called Route 101 (Dave read about it on Yelp as one of the friendliest bars in SF). It did not disappoint...random dive bar with a friendly bartender and locals that aren't all aggro about yuppies from the Marina on their turf.


Dave waiting for the bus, Greyhound in-hand and then spotting Fern Drive; the street he grew up on in Meriden!

Last week, another big update was that I got my own BIKE! I have been borrowing our friend Jen's bike to train for the triathlon at the end of this month (2 weeks from now) and decided that I liked biking so much, I would get my very own. My beloved CraigsList came through for the millionth time and I ended up buying a road bike from a kid and his dad who both work at a bike shop in the South Bay. It's awesome! Check out my new baby.


Road Bike...took me an hour of searching on CL before realizing a "10-speed" is now called a "Road Bike" b/c there are more gears now...sheesh

Speaking of bikes, Saturday night was an event called "Twilight Criterium" that took place in our 'hood. Pro bikers race - at nighttime - around a 4 block radius in the Marina (i.e. these are city blocks = very short. The goal is to make as many loops as you can within 1 hour. The street corners are even padded with bales of hay in an effort to protect bikers who crash at the super-sharp turns. It was amazing! Lots of people turned up for the event, many with roadies from home in tow (we had a Greyhound to keep us company). Check out a short clip which somewhat gives the feel of the speed whizzing by you!


Twilight Criterium Racing in the Marina

It was a fun, relaxing weekend! We are looking forward to more of the same this upcoming weekend...we have a new location in mind for Friday Date Night too...this time we're going to hit up a well-known SF dive-bar-brewery called Magnolia's - yum!

1 comment:

Eric said...

16 miles in a long way. Sounds like you might need a Rolf pep-talk.