Wednesday, January 30, 2008

New Year, New Me...

If Thirty is the new Twenty, I've got some work to do!

My big 3-0 is on March 13th and I have a few things to accomplish on the docket before then.

Since we were kids, Dad has instilled a family tradition of creating Resolutions, or "Goals" as he calls them, and we read them aloud to each other on New Years Eve. If we can't be together in person on New Years Eve (we often are together), we do a big conference call and let everyone read theirs aloud. I know people have varying opinions on New Years Resolutions, but our family loves them. It's a time of the year that I always look forward to, not only to reflect on my own progress, but to hear what Dad, Carolyn, Lindsay, Jon and Dave each come up with for themselves. As close as we all are, I am always surprised by at least one resolution from each of them...something I had no idea they were interested in, and likely wouldn't know if we didn't complete this annual tradition.

Dad recently sent me our resolutions for reference (no, we aren't one of those families that writes them and forgets about them until Jan 31st of the following year...Lindsay and Jon even tack theirs up in their kitchen!). I decided this year to "publicize" mine on the blog to help me keep accountable. So here they are - the good, the bad, the ugly:

Brooklyn's 2008 Resolutions
Mind:
* Refresh and Relearn Spanish with a Rosetta Stone Course
* Learn how to combine Excel and Photoshop Macro Skillz
* Become and "expert" on a topic at work - my current focus is social media in marketing
* Take a Photoshop course (1st Qtr 2008)
* Take Advanced Excel course (1st Qtr 2008)

Body:
* Hit 140 Pounds!
* Complete one Sprint Triathlon
* Complete La Jolla Half Marathon and SF Bay to Breakers
* Complete the SF Nike Women's Marathon (all 26.2 miles!)
* 20 (boy) Push-Ups!

Love/Family:
* Support Dave on expanding his skill set via shoe school and any other creative outlets he finds
* Take a trip with Justin and Diane (Dave's cousins)
* Work harder on communicating with full family (three sets of parents and two sets of siblings!)

So that is it - ME - dirty laundry out to hang in public. Keep me accountable and help me get there!

1 comment:

Adrienne said...

Well, I'm the biggest Excel dork I know (people call me from my old job) and I WAS a Spanish lit major. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help you with your goals - that is if we ever get to hangout!!! =)

I can also help with Spanish wines and food as an auxiliary class...