Thursday, January 17, 2008

I'm a Narc(oleptic)

Though not clinically diagnosed, I seriously have an issue. Jaime, Dave and I bought tickets over a month ago for the Cirque du Soleil performance "Kooza" which was playing at AT&T Park in SF. It is also "Dine About Town" right now in SF, which is where dozens of fancy-schmancy restaurants in the area offer a three-course dinner for $30. We took advantage of this by going to the famous "One Market" restaurant (where we took Dave & Chris for their Chef's Table experience last August).

Dinner was wonderful - Caesar salad, seared scallops (Dave had duck) and a chocolate-filled doughnut (there was a fancier word for it but I can't remember) that you dunk (yes, DUNK) in a delicious cream liquid. Amazing!

Then we headed to Kooza, full of anticipation after hearing and seeing Cirque on TV for so many years. We were slightly late for the performance, but dove right in and were transfixed on the performers.

That is, until my narcolepsy hit me. I swear, it can come from nowhere -- one minute, I can be watching a major performance and completely mezmerized, and the next minute I am dozing like a blue-hair at church. Pathetic!

This favorite pasttime of mine is not new. Dave sent me the following dog clip a few years ago after I was dozing in the FRONT ROW of Moulin Rouge in Paris with our friend Laura. Front row? Really, Brooke? Yes, the performing ladies were sweeping their boas right in front of me and even touching me with the boas and - nada. Fast asleep. Dave's diagnosis is that wine is the culprit...even if I just have a glass. I love the drink, but unfortunately I think he is right!!!!

Rusty, the Narcoleptic Dog:


I'm not ready to cut off the vino quite yet, but I'm sticking with matinees in the meantime!!!

No comments: