Monday, May 21, 2007

12K=7.46 Miles = 1:37:21 = Record Timing


Okay, so we didn't exactly break any records, per se, at the Bay to Breakers race this weekend, but we had a GREAT time. I don't think I've ever seen so many nude people in one place in my life. We must have passed (yes, we did actually pass the nudists) at least 40 of them, running in packs of 10. And no, I assure you that these are not the kind of nudists that Playboy is calling to try and make a deal.

As I was taking the bus to the starting line where I was meeting Matt, I met a girl named Jessica on the bus. It was her first time running Bay to Breakers as well, so she ran with us for the entire time! It was great, especially as I was about to die by mile four, but I am jumping ahead.

As Jessica, Matt and I were lining up for the race, we see these "things" whizzing in the air above our heads. Next thing you know, they are whizzing by our faces and even hitting us on the chest! It's not a bird, not a plane, but a TORTILLA TOSS! Check it out by hitting PLAY below, even though it's a little hard to see!

And yes, we did partake. Hey, when in Rome.....

So we make our way through the tortilla section and start really looking into the costumes. We have "Girls Gone Breakers" (play off Girls Gone Wild topless videos), we have pirates and accompanying pirate ship (which held a KEG of beer!) and so many more. I know this picture is pretty small, but it was a mobile FLIP CUP Olympic Squad:

This was my favorite costume - a lifeguard stand. They had a rolling "lifeguard chair" with this girl on top and she was blowing the whistle at everything. The rolling stand served a dual purpose as - you guessed it - a stand to hold their keg!

At long last, we hit the start line. It was exciting, but we didn't exactly take off in a sprint as we fought for space with the other 70,000 runners (and I use that term runners very loosely)! They estimate 35,000 registered runners and 25,000 "renegades" as my dad calls them (unregistered runners).

Around Mile 2, we passed this group - "swimming upstream" - running in the OPPOSITE DIRECTION from the other 70,000 runners! They were all dressed as some type of fish. Hilarious.

We hit the Hippy Haight and couldn't pass up this picture of this man dancing on top of his van.

At Mile 5, I was ready to start begging for a piggyback ride. I definitely hit my wall here and struggled for the rest of the 2.5 miles. Matt and Jessica were chatting it up, always about 5 paces ahead of me. I was breathing great, but my legs just wouldn't go! I guess that's where that thing they call "training" comes in play?

At long last, we hit the finish line. The race starts at the BAY (SF Bay) and ends at the BREAKERS (Pacific Ocean). It was a beautiful finish, though I could hardly enjoy it from exhaustion.

I owe a HUGE thank you to Matt and our new friend, Jessica, for getting me through this race! Here is a picture of us afterwards, entering Golden Gate Park field where there were bands, food, beer and more (likely including the 40+ naked people):

Lessons learned:
1) Train
2) Spend the next 364 days finding a good, lightweight costume (and by lightweight I am in no way insinuating naked)
3) Train
4) It's not the time you finish, it's the process of getting there!
5) Did I mention train?

We saw this guy at the finish line and he was certainly an inspiration with his 38 years of participation. Matt suggested I make a tee for next year that highlights my "2 years and counting":

Thank you again, Matt and Jessica. I had a great time and we should do it again next year!!! Oh, and when did the Kenyans finish, you ask? 34:44. WOW.

1 comment:

ArmijoDesigns said...

Next year...you and me...I'm all over it!!