Monday, December 21, 2009

CAL...ifornia

Many people have asked about the origin of Cal's name. He was indeed named for this Great State in which we live! Moving to California in 2002 completely changed our lives. We became more physically active, more mentally engaged and more positive about life overall. We have been fortunate to meet incredible people here and have been inspired by the entrepreneurial spirit that is alive and well. Because of this move, our lives are richer and we find ourselves enjoying life to the fullest! We've learned a lot about ourselves and we hope Cal becomes a man that has the best of these traits in him and helps bring out the best in others. I know, a bit serious for a blog post, but we are passionate about it!

Cal also has significance as he shares part of my grandfather's name, Kalman Kolconay (people called him Kal). I never met my g-father, but love hearing stories about him. One thing that our family always cracks up about is the pronunciation of "Kolconay". Anyone reading this blog that has known me for more than 5 years would say, "kol-KON-y". However, ask my cousin John in Chicago and it's undoubtedly "KOL-son-ay". And my g-father, Kal, went with "kal-SONE-y". My Dad describes the root of the discrepancy from trying to fit into their Italian neighborhood in Chicago...the thought being their Czech last name would blend in much easier if it sounded Italian...and it stuck (sort of...thus, the discrepancy!) That family story is what I think about when I think of Kal Kolconay.

Cal's middle name, Rearden, is a character from Dave's favorite book...Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. I must admit that I have only made it halfway through the book (dude....it's loooong!), but completely love the spirit of Hank Rearden through and through.

Cal is smiling more and more and we're excited for his first airplane ride on Wednesday! We are heading to San Diego for Riggs' and Cal's first Christmas!


Cal and Daddy after his bath last night. Thanks to Auntie Meggie & Uncle Marco for the great onesie! It says, "I don't understand girls" if you can't see it in the pic.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't understand girls either. But I think I understand Landsay and Brooke.
I appreciate the " Cal" clarification we will love him either way and look forward being a part of his life.
POPS

Eric said...

Knowing you are never too far from your trusted iPhone, I know this message will make it to you all. Have a great Christmas, and give everyone our best.