Saturday, October 11, 2008

Triathlon Results!

Two weeks ago, Heidi and I competed in the See Jane Tri Triathlon in Pleasanton, CA (aka East Bay...aka Suburbia). To say I have been nervous would be a complete understatement to the pure fear that I have been experiencing for the last month leading up to the race. We did a practice tri about a month ago where we went through all the motions of what we'd experience on the day of the big race, and ever since then I have been completely freaking out.

In my head, the swimming portion was equivalent to putting me in a tank of sharks and then cutting my legs off for them to chase a trail of blood while I flailed as best I could. Yes, I'm serious. That's how terrified I was of swimming the equivalent of just FOUR FOOTBALL FIELDS!!!

The sprint triathlon included:
* 400 yard open water (lake) swim (1/4 mile)
* 11 mile bike
* 5K run (3.1 miles)

Lindsay and Jon were in town for the weekend and they, along with Dave, were much-needed cheerleaders through every transition! The race started at 8am, so we left the house around 6am (1 hour drive to aforementioned suburbia), packing up the bikes, triple-checking our gear and then piling in the 4Runner where Heidi offered up fresh bagels with delicious homemade honey and jam. The car ride was abuzz with chatter...so much so that we drove 15 miles PAST the exit! It was about 7:45am when we finally pulled into the race location and we hustled to check in, get our gear in place and work out the nerves.


My set-up....#99!


Official Tri Marking...one on the arm, one on the leg


Pre-Race with the best Cheering Squad Ever!

When Heidi and I were walking up to the transition area pre-race, I was shaking and repeated to her (over and over), "Heidi, I can't do this. I can't do this. Seriously. I can't f'ing do this." She, dealing with her own nerves, showed great patience and restraint by saying, "You damn well better do this...you're the one that talked me INTO this f'ing hellhole event!" - Okay, she didn't say that, but I'm SURE it's what she was thinking. Instead, she was completely supportive and encouraging, saying that I absolutely can make it through...and the next thing I knew, we were lining up in the sludgy brown lake water for the 30-34 year-olds to GO!


Me, departing the lake after the swim...I MADE IT!

Turns out, the swim wasn't even that bad!!! I was so relieved that it was OVER that I then took FOREVER in my transition to bike in changing my clothes, putting my shoes on, etc.


Heidi was off on the bike where she started her run of terror in KICKING A$$!!!

I eventually left for the 11 mile bike which was, again - strange to say this - lovely! I had a smile plastered on my face for all 11 miles. I recently purchased a bike after borrowing our friend Jen's for a month and being on a road bike vs. a mountain bike made ALL the difference! I was pumping hard, but flying by the poor mountain bikers...


Returning from the Bike

I then had the - self dubbed - fastest transition in triathlon history. Okay, that may be an exaggeration, but it was awesome! My paparazzi cheerleaders captured this fun moment on video:


Transition from 11-mile Bike to 3.1-mile Run

And yes...I did toss a "peace out" to my peeps.

At long last - the run!!! Keeping in mind that I'm training for 26.2, the 3.1 miler was certainly not a concern. The route was definitely hilly, but was mostly on trail (friendly to the knees/impact) and it was great!

Heidi kicked butt and our photogs captured both of our finishes:


Finish Line!

THANK YOU to Lindsay, Jon and Dave for being such fantastic supporters! And thank you to Heidi for not letting me quit before we even began!!!


Team Bryand-Rynearson


Heidi and me....the TRIATHLETES!!!

So how did we do? Actually, not so bad!!! Heidi got 5th in our Age Group (30-34) and 49th Overall with a time of 1:06, and I got 14th in our Age Group and 109th Overall with a time of 1:09. Yahoo!


Official Results, Highlighted

And now how do I feel about the swimming? Let's put it this way - I am ready to sign up for another triathlon!!!!

For more pics from the event, click here....

3 comments:

The Ward Family said...

Good for you! That's amazing! I am in awe....
-Suzanne

Eric said...

Congrats! I am ready to see pictures of you in the Hawaiian Ironman (ESPN)

About Ellen said...

LADY!! That is AWESOME! I'm completely impressed....hmmm, perhaps given my stellar 5K performance, I might have to start trainging for a triathalon! haha! Congrats!