Monday, August 4, 2008

A Letter from Moms & Pops....

Dad & Carolyn emailed Lindsay and me on Saturday with this message regarding our running plans towards our October marathon. Dad is a three-time marathoner (NYC, Chicago and New Orleans) and knows the importance of prepping enough. I was so touched at their thoughtfulness, I wanted to share:
*************************************************
Email Subject: MARATHON MILES
Email Message:
I'm concerned that you girls are not putting in enough miles for the 10/19 event!

So Carolyn and I would like to "sweeten the pot" and help you increase your mileage and build more enthusiasm. We are willing to contribute 50 cents a mile for every mile you each run, beginning today and including the marathon. This money will be contributed to the charity of your choice.

Some rules:
1. You both keep track of your day to day mileage. (Dave and Jon will be my watchdogs.)

2. Each week let us know what your total is for the week.

3. According to Hal Higdon (running coach) at either the "novice" or "intermediate" running level, you should be running 30 miles per week now through marathon week (Google "marathon training.)"

4. Although you should be doing some cross-training, running miles is the only thing that counts in the payout.

5. Just in case you get too enthusiastic, we have a 400 mile cap on the payout.

6. Carolyn and I will be happy to write checks to the charity of you choice (the Rynearsons or Bryands are not charities). The top potential amount is $200 each.

7. Payout is at the celebration after the marathon.

Good luck, stay healthy; it's time to hit the running trail.

Love,
Pops and Carolyn

1 comment:

Eric said...

It's amazing to me how if I had a billion dollars (I don't), I would still get excited about someone laying down a $200 challenge.