Sunday, May 30, 2010

Sitting, Solids and...well...the other word for Poop.

Yep, we've taken the plunge into SOLIDS! Cal turned 6 mos on May 14th, just after Riggs' bday, and he's growing like a weed.

1) Sitting: Just a month ago, I found myself at a mom-friends' house and she was practicing sitting with her baby. I told her it hadn't even dawned on me to do that, so I started practicing for a few minutes a day with Cal and was pleasantly surprised that nature helped him along since his mother-of-the-year certainly didn't plant the seed. :-) He has been sitting up for longer and longer and now has no trouble staying up for really long periods of time and exploring everything around him.

2) Solids! I knew that 6 months was a milestone where many people start solids. Our doctor gave us clearance to do it even earlier, but she didn't pressure us to start - just said "whenever you're ready". Well, Dave and I put it off and off due to 100% laziness...feeding "real" food just seemed so time-consuming and messy!!! Then, a week ago, Shelly and Nicole visited from NC and Nicole (mom of two) spoke up when I said that Cal had bizarrely been waking up at 4:30am for a few nights and she exclaimed (seriously..."exclaimed" is the right word), "Y'all are starving him! The boy needs more food!" Oh. Right. That.

Even though he's 90% weight at the doc's office, she was right (I think) - he just wasn't getting full enough on the bottle alone to take him through the night. So we started on solids and it's been a blast! We don't have a high chair, so we use a bumbo with a tray around it and set it on our coffee table with a pool towel underneath (it sounds ghetto, but hey - it's a 700 sq ft apartment and it works great!). Cal dives toward the food and it's now a highlight of my day (along with bathtime where he goes nutso).

Which leads us to...

3) The other "s" word...poop: Poop has most definitely changed. Where I never minded to take care of a dirty diaper, I find myself hoping that Dave claims to notice first these days. I walk in when Cal wakes up from a nap and there is no mistaking what occurred during dream time.

Alas, it was after naptime today that I then brought Cal into our room and hung out singing songs (I do a rockin' rendition of Itsy Bitsy Spider) and I snapped a few pics. So here is the little cutie-patootie!











1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking? " = He is baby zoolander.

Love, Autie Meg...