Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Move Over JC Penney, There's a New Game In Town

I'm officially expanding my repertoire of photography skills with two new baby shoots over the last two weekends! They were both for co-workers of mine (it happened to be that when I joined the company, we had a virtual explosion of babies being born...so it seemed).

These little bundles are just around the same age (a few weeks apart) and I had a great time playing Supermodel with them. I find that I am learning a ton with practice and Dave helps me critique a few shots afterwards to figure out what could be better. For example, with Oliver (first photo shoot), I learned that an f-stop of 5.6 is my friend. It allows me to get things in focus that I need, while still allowing for that "fuzzy" depth of field that we all love. From the shoot with Devon (last Sunday - 2nd baby down), I was reminded that just because you have a certain pose in mind for the baby, the 7-month-old baby does not always share your "vision"! They were both adorable, really well-behaved munchkins and I had a great time.

Highlights from Oliver can be viewed by slide show or gallery.


Devon slideshow or photo gallery


My next step is to take a class on post-processing!

3 comments:

Eric said...

A regular Brooke Getty...I am still impressed. I use 5.6 as well, but my 5.6 is the number of seconds it takes to snap a pic from my handheld after pressing the take picture button (I am sure there is a technical name for it, but I am sure you understood my intent).

Eric said...

I dropped by your old house in North Ridge yesterday evening. We needed to let Hartley take a nap and wanted to drive around and see what my grandparent's old house looked like and to see the lights up the sidewalks of North Ridge.

Your old house looks good. It was funny because the new owners were loading up the car when we stopped, rolled down the window, and started snapping (yes, it was creepy and Mandy was more than a little nervous about them calling the cops).

The lady came walking down the driveway, so I explained that I was taking the pictures for you all. They were young, maybe 40, with 2 kids. They work "technology". They were nice...I think your house is in good hands.

They explained they weren't worried because they just thought we were more appraisers for the house across the street for sale (on the corner). It is on sale for $350K...because it is so low for the area, people are coming by to see it.

Anyway, we are headed back to Richmond tomorrow morning, so we will be able to load the pictures and send them to you. It certainly isn't as done up as Momma Di's house, but I thought it might be cool for you all to see.

Merry Christmas. I hope you all have a great time together in SD.

Anonymous said...

While surfing on the Net I found your blog, I stopped at it to have a rest and I explored it. There is interesting stuff displayed. Now I continue my surfing…
Make a stop at my blog, if you wish. Happy new year! Ciao.